The fourth recipe in our Fraiche Nutrition series of quick and delicious ways to prepare seafood is a Miso Glazed Sablefish.
Sablefish is firm with a rich flavour and delicate texture, which makes it incredibly versatile when it comes to cooking. It’s actually nicknamed ‘butterfish’ for this reason, as it literally melts in your mouth when prepared correctly. You can buy it from our online store here and have it delivered straight to your door ‘fresh frozen’ (the best quality you can get and is where many top-end restaurants source our fish!).
This honey miso marinade and glaze by Dietitian, Tori Wesszer really compliments the richness of the fish. The dish is best served with vegetables stir fried in peanut oil, grated ginger, crushed garlic and a dash of soy sauce along with some jasmine steamed rice.
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp. miso (I used MUGI)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. black vinegar
- 4 thawed filets Haida Wild Sablefish
- 2-4 Tbsp. canola oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pan)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450F on broil and place a rack at the second highest level in the oven.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, miso, sesame oil and black vinegar with a whisk.
- Rinse and pat the fish dry. Place the fish skin-side-up in a 9×13? baking dish and pour the marinade over the fish. Let it sit for at least a half hour, up to a couple of hours.
- Heat the oil in an oven-proof frying pan over medium-high heat. Place the filets skin-side-up on the pan and cook for 2 minutes, enough to get a sear on the fish. Pour the extra marinade into a small saucepan and simmer to reduce it to a thick syrup-like consistency. Flip the fish over and put the pan in the oven: cook for 2-4 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish (the thicker the fish, the longer it takes to cook it).
- Remove the fish from the oven, brush (or drizzle) with approximately 1 tablespoon of marinade on the top of each filet, and sprinkle with the green onions.
- Serve immediately!
Our Sablefish is line caught in Haida Gwaii and is Ocean Wise approved. Buy your Haida Wild Sablefish here!
*Pictures courtesy of Fraiche Nutrition.